Based on App Annie’s 2021 State of Cell Report, cellular gaming grew 20% yr over yr in each customers and whole client spend. However is that leap mirrored in cellular entrepreneurs’ media plans for 2021? ironSource surveyed 211 promoting trade professionals throughout companies and programmatic companions to seek out out and gauge how a lot of their media methods concentrate on cellular gaming.
- Table of Contents
How a lot do media consumers learn about cellular players?
Advertisers are able to spend extra in-game in 2021
Our survey discovered that advert spend in cellular video games is ready to extend this yr, with 49% of those that have beforehand run in-game campaigns, and 32% of those that haven’t, planning on increasing in-game budgets in 2021. In the meantime, 48% of those that have traditionally run in-game campaigns plan to proceed to take action at current spend ranges.
- 73% of survey respondents at present purchase in-app advertisements
- 51% of survey respondents at present purchase in-game advertisements; 49% of those plan on rising their spend from 2020, 48% plan on preserving it flat
- 35% of those that didn’t purchase in-game in 2020 plan on beginning to purchase in 2021
Consumers who don’t buy in-game underestimate the dimensions of the market
Regardless of the rise in spend and adoption, many media professionals proceed to carry onto biases relating to who performs video games, what sort of video games are common, and what advert codecs work greatest in cellular video games. That is significantly true of those that have by no means run campaigns on in-game stock – as most discovered it tough to determine the size of the worldwide gaming viewers, their demographic make-up, or the income generated by the cellular gaming market.
Out of consumers who don’t buy in-app:
- 58% underestimate the variety of players worldwide, which Newzoo reported in 2020 as over 2.6 billion
- 60% understate the typical age of a gamer, which is 36
- 86% assume that individuals taking part in most regularly earn salaries between $50K-$149K, when surely it $250K+
- 75% underestimate the income generated by the gaming market. Cell video games made up $76 billion of income in 2020, in keeping with Newzoo. As a comparability, international income for different leisure channels like streaming stays decrease than gaming – e.g., streaming audio ($26 billion), streaming video ($42 billion).
Consumers of all types proceed to carry misconceptions in regards to the gaming viewers as we speak
73% of consumers – no matter whether or not or not they purchase in-game advertisements – underestimate how a lot of the app viewers would interact with rewarded video to unlock content material. Based on eMarketer, 74% of customers would watch an advert in trade for in-app rewards or forex, whereas most media consumers assumed the quantity was 65% – and those that don’t purchase in-game advertisements had been prone to estimate it at 51%.
Throughout 15 questions on cellular audiences and gaming, the typical rating was 45% appropriate among the many media professionals surveyed, even for many who had beforehand run campaigns on in-game stock.
- 83% of consumers know informal video games are probably the most downloaded style of cellular video games. Nonetheless, 67% incorrectly determine puzzles as the most well-liked sub-genre of informal video games, versus the 15% who accurately recognized it as arcade
- 63% of consumers assumed informal video games had been the highest style for time spent, whereas solely 15% accurately recognized RPG, technique and motion video games
What does this imply for advert consumers – and builders?
It’s reassuring to see an elevated funding in gaming as extra advertisers perceive the attain and affect of the cellular gaming viewers. The findings point out that there stays a possibility to coach media consumers in regards to the energy and potential of in-app and in-game promoting, and of the advantages of interactive codecs reminiscent of rewarded video.