Mobile apps are an ever-present a part of our related lives. From serving to to regulate options in a automotive, music streaming, to maintaining tabs with previous buddies on social media. Out of the 7.9 Billion individuals worldwide, roughly 5.1 billion have entry to a cellular gadget, with over 3.8 billion at present energetic on social media.
Table of Content
Such figures are an thrilling testomony to how far the digital revolution has come, with Statista predicting the variety of smartphone customers to peak at 4.3 Billion by 2023. Because the variety of smartphone customers grows, anticipate the variety of apps globally to rise dramatically. Nevertheless, earlier than we delve into additional technological hypothesis, let’s reply a generally requested query.
How Many Apps Are There Worldwide?
Usually talking, cellular apps at present have an effect on each side of recent human life. From the administration of funds, planning of journey, health regimes, to even discovering a life companion! Which means there ought to be a plethora of apps, nevertheless, an actual determine is tough to return by. Although some authoritative researchers leverage information from App Shops just like the Apple App Retailer (for Apple units) and Google Play (for Android units) to derive respectable figures.
That being stated, in line with statistical estimates by Statista, there are roughly 3.04 million apps on the Google Retailer. Alternatively, Statista additionally approximates 2.09 million apps exist on the Apple App Retailer. Statista additional studies that about 218 billion cellular apps have been downloaded to person’s related units in 2020 throughout all App Shops.
Different conservative reporting from corporations like RiskIQ, states that cellular apps globally have now peaked at an unimaginable 8.93 million. This analysis report believes that this surge in apps has been fueled by rising markets like Brazil, India, and Indonesia. For instance, India alone has witnessed a dramatic progress of 190% since 2016, reaching roughly 40 billion app downloads by the tip of 2019.
Moreover, the Cellular Finance Report confirmed that COVID-19 considerably accelerated the expansion of FinTech apps in 2020. Thus, lending extra credibility to present estimates in regards to the variety of apps accessible globally. Particularly, Fintech that stemmed from cellular banking, has propelled a progressive progress in digital transactions and the adoption of e-wallets. To additional validate and cement the approximated figures on what number of apps are there globally, let’s see some eye-catching statistics.
Fascinating Cellular App Statistics
- In response to Grand View Analysis, the worldwide cellular software market measurement, at present valued at USD 170.52 billion, is predicted to develop at a compound annual progress fee (CAGR) of 11.5% between 2020 and 2027.
- Statista forecasts that 184 billion apps will likely be downloaded by 2024.
- In 2020, Spotify had about 9.31 million downloads from Android customers.
- Paradoxically, 98% of most app income comes from free apps.
- Sensor Tower information reveals that Apple App Retailer installs in 2020 grew by 2.5% to eight.2 billion, whereas Google Play grew 30.3% to twenty-eight.2 billion.
- In 2020, App Shoppers spent 3.5 trillion minutes on Android apps, with YouTube being the preferred app, with a cellular viewers attain of 72.8%.
- By way of sports activities apps, the Premier League app noticed a 500K increment in downloads by the tip of 2020.
- Netflix is the top-rated Android cellular app ever, with a median ranking of 4.0 throughout over 120,000 scores. This comes as no shock because the streaming service reportedly spent $1.45 Billion on branding in 2020.
- Social media are essentially the most visited app class, whereas courting apps are available second place.
- An estimated 2% of app customers open particular apps over 100 occasions per day. Apparently, apps account for 80% of all time spent on cellular units.
- Essentially the most downloaded app was TikTok, downloaded 2 billion occasions in 2020 alone.
- By way of general downloads throughout App Shops, Gaming apps lead the pack.
- In response to Sensor Tower Retailer Intelligence, worldwide client spending and first-time installs of cellular apps throughout Apple’s App Retailer and Google Play Retailer in 2020 climbed to $31.8 billion and 36.7 billion, respectively.
- Sensor Tower additionally studies that client spending on in-app purchases, premium apps, and subscriptions climbed by 28% to $20.4 billion worldwide on Apple’s App Retailer within the first quarter of 2020. Alternatively, Google Play noticed client spending develop by 36% to $11.4 billion throughout the identical time interval.
- Apparently, whereas Android has a extra vital market share within the cellular apps sphere, iOS has a a lot bigger ‘pockets share.’ For essentially the most half, iOS cellular apps account for about 1.5x of the whole app retailer income as compared with Android.
Why Cellular Gaming Is a International Phenomenon
In response to analytics from App Annie, spending on cellular video games reached $22 billion in 2021. Moreover, information collected by Tapjoy reveals that cellular players have a tendency to interact essentially the most with the promoting they obtain, in distinction to different app customers.
And with the incidence of the COVID-19 pandemic, cellular sport revenues within the U.S. jumped from $4.5 billion in Q1 to greater than $6 billion in Q2, and Q3 at $5.8 billion. From a advertising and marketing perspective, cellular video games are gold as players are interactive and sometimes present person enter. This provides entrepreneurs the flexibility to successfully determine and measure crucial KPIs like engagement, concentrating on, and completion charges. Therefore, why gaming apps are hovering the app shops.
Cellular video games additionally present app builders with alternate income streams like in-player spending. As an illustration, the top-grossing sport of March 2021 was Honor of Kings from Tencent. Honor of Kings made roughly $257.5 million in participant spending alone.
How Many Smartphones Exist Worldwide?
The Worldwide Knowledge Company (IDC) reported that worldwide smartphone shipments declined by 6.7% in 2020 to achieve 1.280 billion models, from 1.373 billion in 2019. Nevertheless, IDC nonetheless expects the market to return to a progress of 5.5% in 2021, with the general smartphone market anticipated to achieve 1.526 billion models in 2025. Usually talking, China has the biggest variety of energetic smartphone customers (926 million), whereas India is available in second place with 502 million. smartphone customers.
Rising Cellular App Traits to Look Ahead to in 2021
- In 2021, anticipate to see extra telecoms with totally deployed 5G networks. We anticipate 5G penetration to positively affect the cellular app expertise with sooner speeds. In apply, 5G know-how guarantees very low latency (near-immediate responsiveness) and better community capability and reliability. This can permit app builders to shift a lot of the extreme computing necessities from telephones to servers. Thus, a greater app expertise for cellular customers.
- Anticipate in-game promoting to proceed its speedy progress in 2021.
- Anticipate FinTech apps to proceed on the trajectory of 2020, into 2021.
- World Promoting Analysis Centre predicts that social media platforms like Twitter and Reddit will proceed to chip away at Google and Fb’s market share in 2021. Digital media spending will once more surpass conventional media spending, a pattern that began in 2019.
- We will see extra contextual voice options arising. These will primarily come within the type of voice assistants reaching extra sensible units with situational content material. As an illustration, we might see the arrival of sensible(stand-alone) earbuds with Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri built-in to assist customers with public transport navigation, reply to texts, or hearken to music, all by way of voice.
- Relatedly, in 2021, cellular customers shall expertise extra inclusive buying experiences. Anticipate buying apps to plot new mechanisms to permit customers to conduct their transactions via voice. From discovery to choice to checkout, cellular customers will expertise a seamless buying journey by way of Voice instruments with out accessing apps or different platforms.
- Ephemeral content material (media format that disappears after a brief length) gained large traction in 2020. As an illustration, tales throughout social apps like Snapchat, Instagram, and TikTok consumed plenty of time for cellular customers through the COVID-19 lockdowns. As an illustration, there are roughly one billion Tales shared each day throughout the Fb household of apps. Although the area of interest gained its recognition from Snapchat, different social media platforms later efficiently adopted it. Due to its temporal nature, Ephemeral content material creators are typically extra spontaneous, growing the chance of the content material being extra genuine. In 2021, anticipate extra options geared to bettering the Ephemeral content material expertise as extra manufacturers faucet into this area of interest and immensely aspirational market.
As has been famous, the worldwide App Economic system is firing on all cylinders. And for the reason that COVID-19 pandemic, cellular apps have develop into a extra prevalent a part of our each day lives globally, the place change is the one fixed. This was seen as completely different revolutionary apps have been required to order meals, watch films, or to run digital courses. And with the speedy development in know-how, cellular apps will proceed to cement their place as the worldwide “go-to” for commerce, content material, communication.
Regardless, this seismic shift in cellular app market dynamics calls for an audience-first strategy as non-gaming apps energy the subsequent wave of the app economic system. We anticipate the variety of apps worldwide to proceed rising within the forthcoming years, primarily as a result of elevated smartphone proliferation, web penetration, and the adoption of applied sciences like machine studying and synthetic intelligence in cellular apps.